Cable Jacket Repair | 3M Electrical Webinar
Published 14 Sep 2020
Damage to the Cable Jacket & Sheath is a fairly common issue on site.
A cable might be endangered even before deployment: for example, a cable may have been dragged across a concrete floor and snagged. When the Cable Sheath is damaged, the electrical system may become compromised from moisture and contaminants. Even the smallest scratches can be dangerous as they can be deeper than they appear and increase when bending the cable. This is why Cable Jacket Repair methods are paramount.
cable jacket RepaiR
- 3M Electrical tapes are the robust and convenient solution to repair cable jacket damages in the field.
- Tape fits all cable sizes—no need to keep the big range of materials on stock—just a couple of rolls in your toolbox.
- Repair with tapes doesn’t need fire or heating. It’s convenient for work in confined spaces, and in most cases, it’s a durable and economically efficient solution. 3M electrical tapes can be used for both temporary and permanent repair.
cable Sheath & Cable JAcket Repair RECOMMENDATIONS
The nature and type of damage to a cable determines which selection of tapes and methods of repair should be used. The tapes may be used to repair scratched or slightly damaged cable jackets, or more substantial repairs; where a section of the cable jacket is missing. Where the conductor or inner parts of a cable’s construction is not damaged, the repair of the cable jacket is possible with the use of 3M tapes. Otherwise, if these parts are damaged, the cable would have to be either spliced or replaced.
3M Tapes for Cable Jacket Repair
In the following circumstances, methods of Cable Jacket repair from 3M, including 3M Scotch Electrical Tapes, can be used
- For PVC and Rubber cables, low and medium voltage
- For single- or multi-conductor cables
- For damages which don’t penetrate to conductor depth
Cable JAcket & Sheath Repair Methods
The different levels of cable damage are demonstrated below: with the suggested repair methods for each.
|Damage Level 1||Damage Level 2||Damage Level 3|
|Minor damages. Surface damages like scratches and grooves from sharp edges.||More substantial damages with cable cores intact. Cuts and breakouts of the cable jacket.||A new cable splice is required. Severe damages with damages cable cores. Punctures and deep damages affecting the inner layers of the cable. Further detection of the cable is necessary.|
3M Electrical tapes for cable jacket repair
Rubber Mastic tapes, manufactured by 3M, are the main components of cable jacket repair solutions. These flexible tapes go on smoothly and bond instantly to make electrical repairs in the field an easy task. A mastic adhesive securely adheres to most power cable jacket materials without loosening or separating, delivering a reliable seal that will maintain the integrity of the cable jacket in the long term.
- 3M Scotch 2228 Tape is highly conformable and super stretchy in all weather applications.
- resists UV rays, abrasion, corrosion, alkalies and acids.
- Primary insulation for splices up to 600V.
- Max Temperature: 90°C / 194°F emergency overload of 130°C / 266°F
- 3M Scotchfil Electrical Putty is a self-fusing, insulating putty in tape form.
- Electrical insulation putties can be applied to the deep holes to seal and shape the surface and exclude water ingress.
- Smooths over irregular shapes and pads sharp edges.
- Max Temperature: 80°C / 176°F
- Premium Vinyl tapes add mechanical protection and radial pressure to the repaired area.
- 3M Scotch 33+ Tape is highly conformable and super stretchy in all weather applications
- Resists UV rays, abrasion, corrosion, alkalies and acids.
- Max Temperature: 105°C 221°F
- Can be applied in cold environments down to -180C and is rated to operate in temperatures from 105° C to -40°C.
- 3M Scotch 2234 Tape is designed specifically to repair damages on the cable jackets.
- The outer layer of this tape is composed of vulcanised CSM rubber to provide outstanding resistance to abrasion, chemicals, tearing, and cut-through.
- Max Temperature: 105°C / 221°F
Alternative solutions for minor damage repairs
Besides Scotch® Cable Jacket Repair Tape 2234, 3M provides alternative tapes solutions for Cable Jacket repairs with different characteristics. See the table below with the different options.
|1||1. Wrap Scotch® Rubber Mastic Tape 2228 over the scratch.||2. Then overwrap with Scotch® Super 33+™ Vinyl Electrical Tape over the whole repair length for the mechanical strength.||Scotch® 2228 is softer then Scotch® 2234, it’s not flame retardant and has lower chemical resistance vs. Scotch® 2234.|
|2||1. Wrap Scotch® Rubber Mastic Tape 2228 over the scratch.||2. Scotch® Heavy Duty Vinyl Electrical Tape 22 over the whole repair length for the mechanical strength.||Scotch® 22 is more robust and thicker than Scotch® Super 33+™, but it’s less abrasion resistant than Scotch® 2234.|
|3||1. Scotch® Mining Tape 31 over the whole repair length.||Very similar characteristics to Scotch® 2234, but even more hard. It was specially designed for the Mining industry.|
Alternative solutions for substantial damage repairs
Similar to the repair of minor damages, there are alternative solutions to Scotch 2234 tape for substantial damage repairs.
- MV Cable Jointing & Some Jointers Tips Using 3M Scotch Tapes
LV, MV & HV Jointing, Earthing, Substation & Electrical Eqpt
Thorne & Derrick International are specialist distributors of LV, MV & HV Cable Installation, Jointing, Duct Sealing, Substation & Electrical Equipment – servicing UK and global businesses involved in cable installations, cable jointing, substation, overhead line and electrical construction at LV, 11kV, 33kV and EHV.
THORNE & DERRICK Product Categories: Duct Seals | Cable Cleats | Cable Glands | Electrical Safety | Arc Flash Protection | Cable Jointing Tools | Cable Pulling | Earthing | Feeder Pillars | Cable Joints LV | Joints & Terminations MV HV