Duct Seals & Sealing
Cable Duct Seals
Competitive Prices | Large Stocks | UK & Exports Sales | Technical Support
➡ Failure to correctly and effectively seal cable ducts can inflict catastrophic damage to LV-HV electrical distribution networks, substations and power supply. View below our complete ranges of Duct Sealing Products including cable transits to provide a watertight seal and defence against flood damage to low, medium and high voltage cable ducts with additional protection against harmful flammable gas migration and fire spread.
Duct seals are installed by contractors to reinforce the flood defences of MV-HV substations housing critical medium and high voltage power cables and electrical equipment, typically at medium voltage ( 11kV/33kV), high voltage (66kV-132kV) and transmission and distribution grid networks – we can provide expert technical specification, onsite installer training and fast delivery from stock to UK and international projects for both cable ducts and duct seals.
Sealing Cable Entries
In the UK the DNO’s (Distribution Network Operator) hold a statutory requirement to prevent danger due to the influx of water, or any noxious or explosive liquid, hydrocarbon or gas from the surrounding ground into substations, street boxes and buildings. The electric utility will have an approved method and material to seal ducts in all new, altered or retro-fitted cable installations – this includes the sealing of cable ducts where the ducting enters the switch gear building.
These entries such as open cable ducts entering substations or buildings should be sealed with or without cables installed to prevent ingress of water and gas – a common reference point in the UK is Engineering Recommendation ENA-ER G17/3 Leakage Of Flammable Gases.
Fire Sealing Cables
The picture opposite shows unsealed electrical ducting and void openings located at a waste water treatment (WTW) plant – the open cable ducts undermine the purpose of the nearby fire door and should be sealed using fire rated cable duct seals.
Typically duct seals should conform to BSEN1366 Part 3 (Fire Resistance Tests For Service Installations. Penetration Seals) – the integrity and insulation protection provided by the fire rated duct sealant will ensure up to 4 hours fire resistance in ducts.
The seals can be customised to suit fire rated sealing applications including substation ducts, partitions, walls, floors, and construction systems including MV-HV switch rooms and transformer grids.
Re-Enterable Duct Seals
Duct sealing system FiloSeal+HD is an engineered universal solution for sealing LV-HV cables and pipes in ducts, boreholes or transit frames.
FiloSeal+HD is very easy to apply regardless of the type of cable scenario in the cable ducts as it uses strong, but flexible hexagonal tubes to support the cable and provide a strong backing for the seal
The unique design of the hexagonal tubes makes positioning and separation of the cables very simple while also providing a strong backing for the MD+ to be applied on.
- Flexible, one component, adhesive and sealing compound in a cartridge
- Kits are complete with backing and mastic to fill an empty duct
- High levels of gas and water tightness
- Excellent adhesion, applicable to all common building materials
- Fire resistance resistant version
- Resistant against water, alkaline, chemical agents
- Resistant to termites (Mastotermes Darwiniensis)
- Resistant to rodents (rats)
- Resistant to Hydrogen Sulphide / Methane and many other gases
- Non-corrosive sealing of cables
- Shock absorbing
- Non-toxic, neutral and almost odourless
- Also suitable for limiting the EX-zones during transitions (observes chemical resistance)
- Complies with 2011 NEC Articles 225.27, 230.8, 300.5(G), 300.7 (A) on Raceway Seals, and 501.15 (B)(2)
- Suitable for any shaped duct/borehole/opening
- WIMES Compliant (3.02 2013 126.96.36.199 b)
- Quick and easy installation
- Seals PVC & PE sheathed cables, PILC, (HD) PE pipes
- Engineering duct sealing solution
- Suitable for renovations, can be installed retrospectively – re-enterable
- Over 25 years of operational experience and expected life cycle
Sealing Cable Ducts
Thorne & Derrick distribute proven cable duct sealing products from leading manufacturers CSD Sealing Systems and Filoform with widespread utility approvals and industry acceptance as trusted alternatives to traditional “sticky and tricky” to install mastic seals or regulation violating expanding foam – these duct seal products are technically advanced cable sealing solutions designed to provide guaranteed protection of clients assets without the risk of failure.
CSD Rise Duct Seals
CSD RISE cable duct seals are specified throughout the electric and water utility networks to provide protection of ducts and duct openings against the dangers of water ingress and gas migration with up to 4 hour fire resistance to the spread of flame where cables penetrate fire rated boundaries and building openings – the watertight, gastight and fire resistant seals provide duct protection with accelerated age tests concluding a 50 year level of protection.
duct sealing using csd rise seals
- Versatile – CSD RISE quickly seals cable ducts in vertical and horizontal configuration
- Approved – ATEX compliant for hazardous area cable duct sealing in potentially explosive atmospheres, Zone 1 & Zone 2
- Trusted – WIMES (Waters Industry Mechanical & Electrical Specification) accepted for duct sealing in the water utility sector
- Re-enterable – CSD duct seals enable simple modification for adding, removing or replacing cables in retrofit projects
- Flexible – the sealing system can be employed to seal circular, round or rectangular ducts or building penetrations
- High Voltage – 11kV and 33kV substation cable ducts are sealed to protect against flood waters and dangerous corrosive gases
- Durable – CSD RISE is resistant to methane, hydrogen sulphide and chlorine
- Power Cables – specified to seal high voltage and heavy armoured power cables in single, trefoil or Triplex arrangement
Thorne & Derrick are Approved Distributors for CSD providing competitive prices, technical advice and site installation support for duct seals manufactured by CSD Sealing Systems.
Specialist sealing systems are available for cable duct installations under running water conditions – contact T&D for more info.
Duct Seals ♦ Sealing Cable Ducts ♦ 11kV 33kV Substations ♦ Watertight Gastight Fireproof ♦ Medium & High Voltage Cable Seals