Thorne & Derrick | Distributed from Stock | Approved Supplier | UK & Export Sales
Manufactured by 3M Electrical their range of Cold Shrink cable accessories including Joints & Terminations are used to repair damaged cables, replace cable fault sections, extend existing cable circuits and connect cable ends for termination onto electrical equipment bushings in switchgear and transformers, including LV 11kV, 33kV and 66kV power cables operating at medium/high voltages (MV HV).
3M Electrical solutions include Cold Shrink and Scotchcast Resin cable joints – 3M products provide permanent, durable and watertight cable seals, joints and terminations with excellent electrical insulation and unrivalled performance for low (LV), medium (MV) and high (HV) voltage cables and power systems.
Thorne & Derrick are Approved Stockists for 3M Electrical – we can provide excellent customer support, product selection and competitive prices with next-day delivery from extensive stocks of LV, MV and HV cable accessories.
Cable Joints & Terminations | Medium (MV) & High Voltage (HV)
3M Cold Shrink terminations offer a reliable sealing solution for medium and high voltage cable connections to electrical equipment including switchgear, transformers and overhead lines – simple to install even in confined work areas for voltage levels from 6.6kV to 145kV. A “living seal” provides added connection protection of the termination in harsh environments. 3M Cold Shrink technology utilises a high-dielectric constant (Hi-K) stress control tube and conformable Hi-K stress controlling compound. The cable termination is made from pre-stretched rubber wrapped around a core. When the Cold Shrink core is removed, the rubber provides a constant inward pressure on the cable, forming a seal which expands and contracts with variations in temperature and load.
• Less chance of damaging cable insulation material (XLPE EPR)
• Less room for cable jointer error due to reduced installation steps
• No special site permits needed for hot-working as the termination system is cold-applied (no naked flames)
• No cooling time needed before power energising of electric cable circuits
• Compact terminations easier to use in enclosed areas including potentially explosive atmospheres (flammable gas)
3m Cold Shrink
Cold Shrink was invented by 3M Electrical over 40 years ago to avoid the need for a heat source or naked flames in hazardous areas; however, cold shrink products have developed to replace traditional cable jointing methods of cast resin and heat shrink in many industrial applications. The narrow smooth profile design of the 3M Cold Shrink EPDM tube allows more cables to be bunched together on cable tray, or in cable duct, without the problem of snagging, allowing for both horizontal and vertical jointing of cables.
Cold shrink tubes and 3M technology are applied to cable joints, terminations, end caps and abandonment kits for low, medium (11kV-33kV) and high voltage cables (66kV-132kV).
Cold shrink terminations ensure the safest and quickest installation for LV MV HV power cables – reduces cable jointer or installer error and the risk of cable damage caused by overheating of heat shrink, ideal for potentially explosive and hazardous areas in onshore and offshore oil, gas and petrochemicals industries. Cold Shrink is specified and used for all solid dielectric (rubber and plastic) insulated wire and cable installations, jointing and splicing up to 1000 volts – typical applications:
- Primary Electrical Cable Insulation
- Direct Burial & Submersible Cable Sealing
- Indoor & Outdoor
- Environmental & Moisture Sealing
- Cable Lug & Busbar Connection Insulation
- Dig-in Cable Repairs
- Cable Sheath Repairs
- Cable Joints & Splices
3M Cable Joints
The new design of resin cable joints from 3M Electrical features safer mould bodies and Scotchcast resin delivery system.
- One part cable joint mould construction with top seal and fixing clips – simpler cable jointing installation process, less resin leakage. Simpler cable joints.
- Fully integrated cable jointing resin delivery system – reduces resin wastage, skin contact and vapour inhalation by cable jointers. Economical cable joints.
- Range taking foam seals at each end of the cable joint mould – sawing and taping the ends of the joint mould can be eliminated. Versatile cable joints.
- Earth method – to avoid awkward manipulation of armour wires while trying to fit worm drive clips over the cable support rings, 3M have chosen to use constant force springs for earthing. Faster cable joints.
- 3M Scotchcast resins have an excellent adhesion to cables and together with excellent mechanical, electrical and chemical resistance – Scotchcast Resin strength is at least equal to that of the cable when pulled under tension. Reliable cable joints.
3M Scotch Tapes
The 3M brand of Scotch Electrical tapes are used to provide insulation and protection to LV MV HV electrical equipment, cables and accessories including joints and terminations – please refer to the 3M Scotch Electrical Tapes Product Selection Guide for further information. Specialist fire resistant tapes, arc resistant, semi-conductive and rubber splicing tapes up to 69kV enable the protection of LV-HV cables including 11kV-33kV-66kV medium voltages, against abrasion, moisture, alkalis and acids.
3M Scotch Tapes include vinyl electrical insulation, high temperature glass cloth, sealing mastics, rubber self-amalgamating and high voltage tapes to provide track resistance, semi-conductive and sheath repairs to LV, MV & HV cables.
➡ Watch our series of 3M Electrical videos explaining how-to joint, terminate and abandon LV-HV cables.
3m Scotchcast Resins
Scotchcast resins provide the most reliable electrical insulation for cable joint, repair and sealing applications where high strength and specialist application resins are required including high voltage, hazardous area, hydrocarbon resistant, halogen free and flame retardant.
- 3M 470W – 2 Part Polyurethane Resin (Standard – Cable Jointing)
- 3M 40 – 2 Part Polyurethane Cable Jointing Resin (Premium)
- 3M 1402FR– Hydrocarbon Resistant Hazardous Area Cable Jointing Resin
- 3M 8882 – Re-enterable Electrical Insulation & Cable Sealing Resin
- 3M 2131 – Flexible, Flame-Retardant & Submersible Resin
3M eLECTRICAL – DISTRIBUTORS, STOCKISTS & SUPPLIERS
Thorne & Derrick provide competitive prices and fast delivery from stock for the complete range of 3M Scotchcast and Cold Shrink cable joints, terminations, resins and Scotch electrical tapes – we stock high voltage cable joints and terminations manufactured byfrom 3M using Cold Shrink for 11kV, 33kV and 66kV cables.
View the complete 3M Electrical Product ranges ➡