ALVIN by EA Technology | Identify LV Electrical Equipment Faults
Published 15 Apr 2019
uploaded by - Chris Dodds Thorne & Derrick Sales & Marketing Manager
ALVIN by EA Technology
The ALVIN (Automatic Low Voltage Intelligent Network) has been developed by EA Technology (EATL) and is supporting customers and saving time and money through speedy fault and location detection.
ALVIN Reclose is the next generation of supply-restoration reclose equipment, providing Network Operators with invaluable support in reducing costs and delivering better customer service.
ALVIN Reclose meets the immediate needs of Network Operators to improve customer service on ageing, low voltage networks, while providing the foundation for future automation and communication schemes.
EA Technology’s ALVIN Reclose is the most advanced, compact, cost-effective solution available on the market enabling intelligent automation and fault restoration on low voltage electrical and cable networks.
ALVIN & Western Power Distribution
Stoke Plant Team Manager at Western Power Distribution Steve Weddell said: “We use the ALVINs on intermittent faults where existing electrical equipment has failed to locate the issue or where visibility of the underlying problem is required. It provides visibility to power quality information which helps to locate the fault or power quality issue.”
Steve and his team worked closely with EA Technology for 12 months and the team has since achieved 100% success rate in detecting issues where we have deployed the ALVIN on known faults and problem circuits.
Stoke Engineering Specialist David Phillips gave a real case example of where the ALVIN has helped customers. “In early 2018 we received reports of flickering lights in Alrewas in the Stoke distribution patch. Power quality devices were fitted but no meaningful cause for the disturbance was found.
The issue continued for several months.
During a visit to EA Technology my colleague and I discussed the matter and we decided to use the ALVIN as an experiment to investigate the cause. On installation, the problem was immediately found and the electrical power fault rectified within two days.”
The device records the voltage and current waveforms associated with a collection of brief faults, which disappear (self-heal) before a fuse operates. The ALVIN fits in a standard low voltage holder and which, on detection of a fault, will break the circuit and disconnect supplies, wait for approximately thirty seconds, then reclose and reconnect the circuit.
The ALVIN fits in a standard low voltage holder and which, on detection of a fault, will break the circuit and disconnect supplies, wait for approximately thirty seconds, then reclose and reconnect the circuit.
In 2017 EA Technology launched a new LV (Low Voltage) Cloud data service which enabled the voltage and current waveform visualisation and fault location service to be provided.
We have had several sets of ALVINs since 2016. Approximately 12 months ago, we bought the communication equipment which enabled it to communicate to the LV Cloud. These sets have been distributed between Nottingham and Stoke depots where the ALVIN systems have been deployed to manage and locate problematic LV faults.
David explained: “The waveform data is captured by the device and the status of customer supplies is confirmed by text or email. The severity and frequency of pre-fault activity can be used to indicate supply interference as well as implying the likelihood of an impending fault or probability of getting a good thermal reading or ‘sniff’ of fault gases to confirm the suspected location fault.
David concluded: “We have found the units to be extremely versatile and currently work in close partnership with EA technology in exploring the possibilities of these devices and future development.”
- Ability to identify and ‘self-clear’ multiple transients and overload faults so reducing engineering costs and delivering improved customer service
- Simple, retrofit installation with no hidden ‘start up’ costs means the low-cost ALVIN Reclose offers excellent cost/benefits justification.
- flexible features give businesses exactly what they need now. The device is the foundation building block of a range of low-cost add-on devices and services, making it ‘future-adaptable’
- ALVIN Reclose uses the latest technologies, ensuring the safety of employees and customers
- The ALVIN Reclose device allows for more effective asset management, increasing reliability, efficiency and safety at lower costs
Automatic Low Voltage Intelligent Network
- Automatic ‘self-clearing ‘of transient and overload faults,
- Supply restoration with no need for manual intervention
- High quality specification, functionality and reliability
- ‘All-in-one’ mechanism tests and restores power automatically
- Unique SafeON™ technology ensures power can be restored safely
- Fully self-contained, it does not require any auxiliary components
- Full load, network analysis and diagnostics are available through the external data port
- Ready for future use: it is the foundation for a range of low-cost, add-on products and services
- The only retrofit product with arc-less switching for improved network protection.
- Fitting is simple, fast, safe and compatible with existing 92mm fuse holders
- factory programmed to suit different customer requirements
- Comprehensive training, together with on-call service support
ALVIN Technical Specification
|Rated Operating Voltage||275V phase to neutral on either pole
440V across poles
|Rated Insulation Voltage||690V|
|Rated Operating Current||400A or 500A as thump option for ALVIN RecloseITTM version|
|Rated making capacity||80kA|
|Rated breaking capacity||80kA|
|Overcurrent trip characteristic||Inverse time-based on 315A & 400A BS88-2 It zones|
|Ambient air temperature||-25°C to +45°C|
|Voltage measurement||±1.5% 50V to 253V AC RMS|
|Current measurement||±1% >200A, ±2A ≤200A|
|Directional Fault Indicators||Yes|
|Fault location ready||Yes|
|Making on faulty cable||SafeONTM with current limiting to 2.4kA|
|Standards applied||IEC 60947-2, IEC 61000, IEC60255|
EA Technology are a global provider of end to end power engineering solutions and provide expert consultancy, innovative instruments, skills training, technical services and more.
Thorne & Derrick Specialist Electrical Distributor
Established since 1985, T&D distribute the most extensive range of LV, MV & HV Cable Jointing, Terminating, Pulling & Installation Equipment – contact us today for a competitive quotation.
Key Products : MV Joints & Terminations, Cable Cleats, Duct Seals, Cable Transits, Underground Cable Protection, Jointing Tools, Feeder Pillars, Cable Duct, Earthing & Lightning Protection, Electrical Safety, Cable Glands, Arc Flash Clothing Protection & Fusegear.
- ALVIN by EA Technology Identify LV Electrical Equipment Faults Size: 338.99 KB