Smart Transformers | LV MV HV 415V – 11kV 33kV Distribution Transformers | Powerstar SO-LO
LV MV HV 415V – 11kV 33kV Distribution Transformers
The Powerstar SO-LO range of super low loss transformers are the only amorphous core smart transformers with integrated remote monitoring capabilities designed and manufactured in the UK providing a cost-effective way of reducing energy consumption by upgrading high voltage (HV) infrastructure up to 11kV.
Traditional distribution transformers use (CRGO) cold-rolled-oriented steel, nowadays amorphous alloy core is the best material to use which is adopted by the Powerstar SO-LO range of LV MV HV transformers as a more cost effective solution for medium/high voltage power distribution requirements.
Properties include low core loss, low magnetostriction, meaning load and no-load losses in amorphous core transformers.
The amorphous alloy core offers more flexibility than CRGO transformers allowing quicker magnetisation and demagnetisation to occur. Being able to switch to magnetisation at a faster rate is what delivers the lower losses. The main three advantages of amorphous core transformers are minimised losses, more efficient and asset longevity.
Powerstar SO-LO has the ability to offer a bespoke solution to help try to prevent problems in the grid supply voltage such as fluctuations. Limited downtime to operations is another a huge bonus and it also enables HV infrastructure enhancements to take place in a profitable manner a huge plus for many commercial sites.
Remote Monitoring of Transformers
Distribution transformers are the heart of the LV MV HV energy network for many companies.
The health and performance of these transformers are available upon manual inspections of outdated gauges/meters.
24/7 remote monitoring capabilities have enabled a better understanding of how transformers are performing and where improvements can be made to get the best return on investment. Issues can be identified before an event occurs whilst informing decisions on energy use and maintenance activities are provided in the form of comprehensive data.
Industry 4.0 is defined as that by Mckinsey and Company referred to as the fourth industrial revolution champions the connectivity of machines to transfer data and give insights into optimising operations. The Powerstar SO-LO remote monitoring provides:
- Comprehensive data and intelligence to provide useful grid information
- Conditional performance data
- Energy efficiency reports
The transformers have been designed to complement maintenance activities and allows for the remote monitoring of core temperatures, winding currents, oil temperature and, when integrated, the performance of voltage management functionality.
In addition, SO-LO remote monitoring uses a simple user interface that offers text or email notifications with a password protected remote system that provides alerts and warnings from anywhere with an internet connection.
There has been a joint effort from the major players in the LV and HV power industry to modernise distribution transformers with the introduction of smart distribution transformers.
Features & Benefits
- 36 month guarantee*
- Bespoke transformers to meet client’s requirements
- Simple upgrade to MV HV infrastructure that can provide energy and cost savings
- Dedicated customer service 24/7, 365 days a year
- Experienced UK manufacturer of quality amorphous core transformers
- Variety of fittings and applications to suit every site
*Guarantee applies to systems installed within the UK. Guarantee will be voided if yearly maintenance performance inspections are not undertaken
- Up to 75% lower core losses compared to CRGO transformers
- Delivers greater consumption savings, on average, compared to traditional CRGO transformers
- Contributes towards CSR by reducing CO2 emissions
- Simple non-invasive energy efficiency system
- Gain instant energy consumption savings
- Remote monitoring allows for greater visibility of transformers operations
- Reduce operating costs
- Expected lifespan of up to 50 years
Technical Information & Specification
- Powerstar Tier 1 ONAN Standard Amorphous Core Distribution Transformer Specification
- Specification EN 60076 – Aluminium Windings
- Primary 11,000 Volts complete with off load tap change switch @ +- 2.5 & 5%
- Secondary 400 Volts (417 Volts off load) vector group Dyn11
- ONAN Cooling – oil specification BS EN 60296 (formerly BS 148)
- Primary connections – bushings in an air insulated HV mild steel box.
- Secondary connections – LV monoblock including neutral point in an air cooled mild steel box
Example 800kVA, Dyn1, 11kV – 433V
Powerstar SO-LO Drawing
Below is a drawing highlighting the typical dimensions for the above specification
- LV Cable Box
- HV Cable
- Maintank Kits
- Pressure Relief Valve
- Oil Level Gauge
- Off Load Changer
- Rating & Diagram Plate
- Oil Drain Valve
- Silica Gel Breather
- Oil Filler Cap
bespoke Transformer solution up to 11kv
Powerstar understands that their customers have different needs when it comes to 11kV high voltage equipment and they have the ability to provide a wide range of fittings and accessories to increase the productivity of an amorphous core transformer for each location.
The most popular fittings that have been applied to Powerstar SO-LO are:
- Radiator valves
- Bi-directional rollers
- Dehydrating breather
- AVR relay and control panel
- Winding temperature indicator
- Close coupled MV switchgear
- Close coupled LV cabinets/feeder pillars
- Pressure relief device
- Marshalling box
- Forced air cooling
- Oil temperature indicator
Powerstar can provide a variety of bespoke solutions including dual voltages, single phase transformers, and three phase transformers.
The solution can also be integrated with Powerstar’s patented voltage management technology to address issues caused by an unnecessarily high voltage profile on the LV side, if applicable, providing additional savings to energy consumption and costs.
Powerstar SO-LO is the only amorphous core transformer manufactured in the UK, and Powerstar meets the highest quality standards including UL Quality Assurance (E472553), Quality Assurance ISO 9001:2015 (FS579032) and Environmental Management ISO 14001:2015 (EMS600861), resulting in a full solution of unparalleled quality.
Comparison of TESLA Ratings
- SO-LO Tesla Rating 1.2 – 1.3
- Typical European Tesla Rating 1.65 – 1.70
- Typical Overseas Tesla Rating 1.65 – 1.70
Powerstar SO-LO Bespoke Solutions
Powerstar SO-LO is a 11kV to 415V amorphous core smart distribution transformer, as manufacturers Powerstar can provide a variety of bespoke amorphous core solutions including:
- Single phase transformers
- Three phase transformers
- ONAN, KNAN & AN transformers
- Incoming voltages up to 33,000 volts 33kV
- On-load or off-load tap changes
- Liquid filled or dry type transformers
- Dual voltages
- Standard specifications
- Bespoke specifications
- Corrugated or bolt on radiator tanks
- Adjustable tapping range -5% to +5%
- Typical primary voltages: 3.3kV, 6.6kV, 11kV, 11-6.6kV DUAL, 33kV
- Typical secondary voltages: 280V, 315V, 400V, 415V, 433V, 480V, 690V
11kV Case Study Download: Vassiliko Cement Works Public Company Ltd is the largest heavy industry company in Cyprus – learn how Powerstar MAX Transformers achieved significant LV/11kV power and energy consumption savings by reading the Case Study.
11kV & LV Transformers
Powerstar SO-LO is the The Super Low Loss, Smart Transformer – amorphous core distribution transformers with remote monitoring capabilities.
LV MV HV Transformers, Cables & Electrical Equipment
Thorne & Derrick distribute the most extensive range of 11kV 33kV Cables, Cable Jointing, Terminating, Pulling & Installation Equipment – we service UK and international clients working on underground cables, overhead lines, substations and electrical construction at 11kV 33kV and up to and EHV transmission and distribution voltages.
Key Products: MV-HV Cable Joints & Terminations, Cable Cleats, Duct Seals, Cable Transits, Underground Cable Protection, Copper Earth Tapes, Cable Jointing Tools, Feeder Pillars, Cable Ducting, Earthing & Lightning Protection, Electrical Safety, Cable Glands, Arc Flash Protection & Fusegear.