How to Label Cables Safely In Zone 1 & Zone 2 Hazardous Areas
Published 22 Oct 2019
uploaded by Chris Dodds (Sales & Marketing Manager - Thorne & Derrick International)
A Guest Blog from Michelle Michaelson (Silver Fox Limited Operations Director).
Electrical, Instrumentation, Security, Data & Telecoms
Silver Fox are market leading manufacturers of Cable Labels and solutions worldwide.
Thorne & Derrick are Main Distributors for Silver Fox, the UK leading manufacturer of Wire & Cable Labelling Systems for the identification of LV MV HV in Zone 1 and Zone 2 hazardous areas and potentially explosive atmospheres.
Cables and wires must be contained and correctly labelled – safely.
Whether onshore or offshore, the oil and gas industry is exposed to the severe challenges of maintaining safe working practices in potentially explosive atmospheres or hazardous areas.
Basically, the classification of a hazardous area into Zone 1 or Zone 2 is determined by the time period a flammable atmosphere is likely to be present under international Directives, such as ATEX. See hazardous area zones for further guidance and technical information.
Silver Fox cable and wire making label systems are “cold-applied” (with the exception of heat shrink labels) and are therefore compatible for use within hazardous area locations posing no ignition source threat to the “Fire Triangle.”
Taking the Heat out of Hazardous Areas
Unlike traditional heat shrink wire and cable marking systems, Silver Fox can provide cold-installed cable labelling/ferruling for use in hazardous areas where working conditions preclude the application of naked flames or “hot-working”.
Advanced specification and performance wire marking and ferruling systems from Silver Fox provide safe and cost-efficient labelling of cables and wires located in hazardous areas and potentially explosive atmospheres
When it comes to labelling wires and cables in hazardous areas Silver Fox have found the answer with 2 safe solutions.
Labels for Cables
One of the most straightforward and easiest is the computer-generated Silver Fox Legend™ 2-Part cable labelling system.
Comprising of a clear plastic tube with two 2 recesses; one for the wire and one for the label. The recess for the cable label remains the same size while the size of the recess for the wire changes for different wire diameters.
Each sizing has tolerance for a range of different cable or wire diameters. Diameters from 2mm to 5mm are accommodated with just 3 different sizes covering diameters from 1.5 mm to 5mm.
Labels and tubing are available in 3 different lengths; uniquely there is a 50mm that can accommodate even the longest ID’s 25 to 30 characters and in some circumstances more.
The second solution is Legend™ Non-Shrink Tubing.
Durable PVC tubing that can be printed through the Silver Fox DTP1/300 thermal printer.
An alternative to heat shrink at 20% of the cost.
When fitted, the special oval design tube, stays exactly where it is placed.
Additionally, up against individual ferrules at approximately 30% of the cost, it represents a very powerful solution. Plus, there is no need to stock 0-9, A-Z as printing onto blank tubing means all characters are available.
A recent trial printed 25,000 25mm labels in 4 hours, that’s 100/minute.
Silver Fox Legend™ 2-Part Cable Labels
- No hot gun permit is required – ideal for using in hazardous areas
- The idents are protected in the clear plastic tube mounting
- The special shape of mounting tube, maximises grip
- The idents can be turned in any direction for easy reading
- The idents can be changed after application without cutting the wire. This is particularly useful as a project progresses as idents can be easily changed and the wire does not need to be cut or re-terminated or the circuit re-tested
Available in 2 formats:
- Cable labels pre-cut in A4 sheets for use through an ordinary laser printer – no need for special equipment or
- Cable labels in a roll for printing through thermal Plug’N’Play thermal printer supplied as part of Fox-in-a-Box® starter kit
Are Silver Fox Cable Labels Easy to Install & Remove?
Yes, Silver Fox have a special flexible design so the installer can pull the label into a clear tube mounting. Silver Fox have developed this because rigid options can suffer from over tightness which in turn results in difficulties inserting/removing the label block from the clear tube. By using flexible plastics, Silver Fox addresses these issues, while still offering a fully durable wire and cable labelling solution.
➡ Silver Fox Tip – Leave the tail of the cable label on to the end of the project – this makes the cable label even easier to remove.
Making Hazardous Area’s Safe
How We Can Help?
Thorne & Derrick, Specialist UK Distributors of LV MV HV Jointing, Earthing, Substation & Electrical Eqpt provide expert technical specification, customer support and product supply from stock of an extensive range of Hazardous Area Electrical Equipment including:
♦ Lighting – T&D can provide lighting designs to ensure lux levels are achieved in line with regulations, fittings are located correctly and meet certification requirements – we provide a comprehensive hazardous area lighting system design service.
♦ Heating – T&D can provide room heat loss calculations to ensure the correct heaters are specified and meet certification requirements.
Using heat tracing cables we can also provide competitive prices from stock for trace heating systems used to provide frost protection or process temperature maintenance to mechanical pipework services in substations.
- Raytec | ATEX Lighting (LED & Emergency Fittings)
- ATX Appleton | Lighting (LED & Emergency Fittings ) Flameproof Plugs & Sockets
- Abtech | Junction Boxes & Enclosures (EX Certified)
- Craig & Derricott | Isolators (Switch Disconnectors)
- EXHEAT | Space Heaters & Anti-Condensation Heaters
- Marechal | Plug & Sockets (EX Certified)
- Crowcon | Gas Detectors (Hydrogen & Oxygen)
- Technor | Enclosures & Control Equipment (EX Certified & Flameproof)
- Roxtec | Cable Transits & Sealing Systems
- CMP | Flameproof & Hazardous Area Cable Glands
- Safety Showers & Eyewash Stations
- Spill Bunds & Containment
- ATEX Fans
- Joints & Terminations | 3M Electrical, PFISTERER CONNEX, Nexans Euromold, Prysmian