NOFIRNO – Sealing Systems
Published 29 Jan 2019
uploaded by Chris Dodds - Thorne & Derrick Sales & Marketing Manager
Explosive Environment Sealing Systems For Hazardous Areas (ATEX Directive)
Sealing systems for cables and pipes are used in a diverse range of industry sectors including hazardous area locations and potentially explosive atmosphere applications in the onshore and offshore oil and gas industries. ATEX Directive requirements can be imposed for specific uses in hazardous area environments where there is a risk of explosion.
Kiwa has thus investigated the extent to which the NOFIRNO sealing system fulfils ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU – Kiwa is an autonomous global organisation in Testing, Inspection and Certification (TIC), Training and Consultancy services.
What is ATEX?
ATEX is the name given to the two European Directives for controlling explosive atmospheres in designated hazardous area locations:
1) Directive 99/92/EC (also known as ‘ATEX 137’ or the ‘ATEX Workplace Directive’) on minimum requirements for improving the health and safety protection of workers potentially at risk from explosive atmospheres.
2) Directive 94/9/EC (also known as ‘ATEX 95’ or ‘the ATEX Equipment Directive’) on the approximation of the laws of Members States concerning equipment and protective systems intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres.
The NOFIRNO systems is comprised of rubber and filler sleeves and sealant, the system is used to treat transit openings for cables and pipes in walls, floors, bulkheads or decks, so that they are fire-resistant and sealed against gas, smoke and water.
Kiwa’s research has shown that NOFIRNO, from CSD Sealing Systems, is extremely suitable for use in environments such as those covered by the ATEX Directive and described in the European standard EN 1127-1 ‘Explosive Atmospheres – Explosion Prevention & Protection – Part 1: Basic Concepts & Methodology’.
Because the NOFIRNO sealant, NOFIRNO rubber sleeves and the complete NOFIRNO sealing system do not fulfil an autonomous role and are not equipment in the sense of the ATEX Directive, the risk evaluation focused on use of the NOFIRNO in cable and pipe transits. All possible ignition sources related to the sealing system were also investigated.
Among the possible ignition sources which were assessed, were hot surfaces, flames and hot gases (including hot particles), mechanically-generated sparks, electrical equipment and power leakages, cathodic corrosion protection, static electricity, lightning, electromagnetic and ionising radiation, ultrasonic sound waves, adiabatic compression and shockwaves and exothermic reactions, including materials self-igniting.
How? A 20mm thick layer of NOFIRNO sealant is applied to each side of the conduit – clean and dry the conduit opening and pipe thoroughly to remove all dirt, rust or oil residue to ensure excellent adhesion of the NOFIRNO to the conduit. The conduit should be overfilled with NOFIRNO sealant as some sealant will be pushed between and into the empty filler sleeves during finishing and completion of the pipe or cable seal.
Safe Cable & Pipe Sealing Solution For Hazardous Area & Explosive Atmospheres
Kiwa concluded that for all hazardous situations as described in EN 1127-1, there is no ignition source for NOFIRNO sealant, NOFIRNO rubber sleeves, NOFIRNO rubber filling sleeves and the complete, installed NOFIRNO system.
NOFIRNO is manufactured by Beele Engineering.
Contact us for duct sealing systems for onshore and offshore sealing of medium/high voltage (MV-HV) substation cables.
Some benefits of the sealing system include:
• Ensuring ATEX, DSEAR & WIMES compliance
• Age tested to prove 50 years of sealing protection
• Quick and easy to install in both horizontal and vertical cable ducts
• Easy re-entry for adding, removing or replacing cables LV MV HV
• Installed in any sized or shaped opening, penetration or duct
• Resistant to submersion in petrol and diesel
• Resistant to methane, hydrogen sulphide and chlorine
• Suitable for trefoil and large diameter 11kV/33kV power cables
• Prevents rat and rodent ingress into low, medium and high voltage substations
NOFIRNO cable duct and pipe penetration sealing system is jet-fire tested for offshore applications.
➡ Contact Thorne & Derrick to discuss the NOFIRNO Duct Seal System – 0191 4104292.
Sealing Pipes, Cables & Ducts Using NOFIRNO
Watertight & Gastight Sealing For Building Entries & Cable Duct Terminations
A simple and long term solution designed for sealing cable ducts and building entries against ingress of water, gas or flooding – the NOFIRNO system is used extensively across the onshore utilities and construction sectors to protect LV MV HV electrical substations, equipment rooms and cabinets, wind turbines and critical infrastructure.
➡ For marine and offshore applications see: A60 H120 Pipework Fire Protection For Offshore Bulkheads & Decks
Jet Fire Testing
➡ NOFIRNO – Jet Fire Testing For Cable Duct & Pipe Penetration Sealing Systems
Some site installation photographs of NOFIRNO ➡
THORNE & DERRICK SPECIALIST ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTOR
LV ♦ MV ♦ HV
Thorne & Derrick distribute the most extensive range of LV, MV & HV Cable Jointing, Terminating, Pulling & Installation Equipment – we service UK and international clients working on underground cables, overhead lines, substations and electrical construction at LV, 11kV, 33kV and EHV transmission and distribution voltages.
- Key Products: MV-HV Cable Joints & Terminations, Cable Cleats, Duct Seals, Cable Transits, Underground Cable Protection, Copper Earth Tapes, Cable Jointing Tools, Feeder Pillars, Cable Ducting, Earthing & Lightning Protection, Electrical Safety, Cable Glands, Arc Flash Protection & Fusegear.
- Distributors for: 3M Cold Shrink, ABB, Alroc, Band-It, Catu, Cembre, Centriforce, CMP, Elastimold, Ellis Patents, Emtelle, Furse, Lucy Zodion, Nexans Euromold, Pfisterer, Polypipe, Prysmian, Roxtec.
Thorne & Derrick invite you to join LinkedIn’s largest LV-HV Electrical Discussion Group : Low & High Voltage Power, Cabling, Jointing & Electricals. Discussion subjects include cable installations, cable jointing, substation, overhead line and electrical construction at LV, 11kV, 33kV and EHV. Network, engage and promote your profile, company or products with over 10,000 influencers.
- NOFIRNO – Transits (Pipes & Cables) Onshore & Offshore Sealing Systems Size: 2.44 MB
- NOFIRNO – MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet Size: 25.88 KB
- A60 H120 Pipework Fire Protection For Bulkheads & Decks Size: 1.23 MB