A60 H120 Pipework Fire Protection For Offshore Bulkheads & Decks
Published 29 Jan 2019
uploaded by - Chris Dodds Thorne & Derrick Sales & Marketing Manager
Sealing Cables & Pipes Offshore
A flexible pipe penetration sealing system, using NOFIRNO, for single or multiple metallic and GRP pipe applications, providing fire protection in A60 to H120 and uninsulated A0 and H0 bulkheads and decks. The NOFIRNO sealing system will reduce vibration, stress and cathodic corrosion and is age tested to prove 50 years of cable and pipe sealing protection.
NOFIRNO is also proven to provide a blast rating and fire protection during a 2 hour jet fire test and will ensure watertight integrity even after exposure to a 1 hour (A60) fire.
NOFIRNO Flexible Pipe Sealing System is one of the most adaptive systems for sealing straight and angled pipe penetrations and can even accommodate multiple pipe runs. The system is designed to maintain the safety of vessels providing fire protection and ensuring bulkheads and decks remain gas and watertight when pipes need to pass through them. It consists of only two components: NOFIRNO sealant; a silicone based fire resistant, water repellent sealant and NOFIRNO multi-filler sleeves, supplied in bonded strips to make the system easy to install.
A60 H120 Fire Resistance
Some Technical Guidance
The NOFIRNO system from CSD Sealing Systems is tested against fire resistance to both A (A60) and H (H120) Classification – the temperature regime in the furnace during an A-Class fire is similar to that of a cellulose fire and during an H-Class fire similar to that of an oil fire. In a H-Class fire the increase in temperature is much faster than that of an A-Class fire. The cable penetration must be tested both Vertically and Horizontally in order to be approved for general usage by the leading certifying authorities.
Fire Protection Integrity
The integrity of the cable penetration must be maintained throughout the test period (A60 A-Class 60 Minutes, H120 H-Class 120 Minutes) – the occurrence of flaming on the unexposed face or ignition of a cotton wool pad applied to any gap or fissure that appears in the test specimen constitutes a loss of integrity.
The limit of temperature increase on the non fire side of the penetration is stipulated in EN 1366-3 or IMO A754(18). The maximum acceptable temperature increase at any point on the penetration during the test is 180 °C. An approved fire test gives the penetration a classification where the fire is specified (A-H-Class Fire) and the time for which the penetration was able to resist the fire in respect of the maximum allowed temperature increase on the non fire side of the penetration (180°C).
For example, a penetration that withstands an H-Class fire for 120 minutes is classed as H120 and a penetration that withstands an A-Class fire for 60 minutes is classed A60.
If the 180 °C temperature increase is not exceeded during the stipulated time the penetration is approved and can be classified.
* A0 and H0 relates to no temperature restriction on the non-fire side. H0-400 °C relates to a restriction of 400°C maximum temperature increase on the non-fire side. A0-H0 and H0-400 °C must also meet the division integrity requirements, not allowing cracks or opening to develop through which flames or hot gasses can pass.
|Class||Fire Test Requirements Attained|
|Integrity (minutes)||Insulation (minutes)|
A60 & H120 Fire Rating
NOFIRNO is for A0 – A60, H0 – H120, Jet Fire, Blast, Watertight & Gastight ratings:
• Simplified design through standardisation of all bulkhead penetrations and a significant reduction in components
• Allows design changes without the need for additional hotwork
• Space reduction
• Faster installation
• Allows for misalignment of pipe work due to build tolerances
• Significant reduction in number of pipe spools
• Vibration stress and cathodic corrosion reduced increasing the life of pipe systems and reducing the failure rate
• Easy replacement of pipe systems
• Vibration & noise reduction – reducing noise signature
• Significant weight saving over bulkhead fittings making more energy efficient
Jet Fire Testing
➡ NOFIRNO – Jet Fire Testing For Cable Duct & Pipe Penetration Sealing Systems
Fire Performance A60
• Certified for use in A60 boundaries (A60 – min length 180mm), tested & approved without any insulation for A0 applications, (A0 – min length 250mm)
• Proven watertight even after A60 fire test
• 2 hour hydrocarbon fire test – both with and without insulation, rated H0 and H120
• 2 hour Jet Fire test – with no additional insulation
• Shock tested to 850g to DEF STAN 08-120 including post test pressure test to 6.9 bar
• Blast rated sealing system
• Low Smoke and Toxicity – DEF STAN 02-711 and DEF STAN 02-713
Some further benefits of the sealing system include:
• Ensuring ATEX, DSEAR & WIMES compliance
• Age tested to prove 50 years of sealing protection
• Quick and easy to install in both horizontal and vertical cable ducts
• Easy re-entry for adding, removing or replacing cables LV MV HV
• Installed in any sized or shaped opening, penetration or duct
• Resistant to submersion in petrol and diesel
• Resistant to methane, hydrogen sulphide and chlorine
• Suitable for trefoil and large diameter 11kV/33kV power cables
• Prevents rat and rodent ingress into low, medium and high voltage substations
➡ Contact Thorne & Derrick to discuss the NOFIRNO Duct Seal System – 0191 4104292.
Sealing Pipes, Cables & Ducts Using NORFIRNO
Watertight & Gastight Sealing For Building Entries & Cable Duct Terminations
A simple and long term solution designed for sealing cable ducts and building entries against ingress of water, gas or flooding – the NOFIRNO system is used extensively across the utilities and construction sectors to protect LV MV HV electrical substations, equipment rooms and cabinets, wind turbines and critical infrastructure.
Some site installation photographs of NOFIRNO ➡
Marine & Offshore Power
THORNE & DERRICK are international distributors of LV, MV & HV Offshore & Marine Cable Installation, Jointing, Substation, Earthing & Electrical Equipment – we supply Joints, Glands, Cleats & Cable Accessories specified for use in harsh and hazardous areas to support the installation of marine and offshore power cables.
Since 1985, T&D have established an international reputation based on SERVICE | INTEGRITY | TRUST.
DNV is a rigorous approval system for cable accessories including joints, glands and cleats – the DNV approval process assesses all of the evidence offered by the manufacturer and compares it to the requirements of the international standard, IEC61914. Once full compliance is proven DNV Type Approval is offered.
Contact Thorne & Derrick for further information and customer service – extensive range of DNV Approved Marine & Offshore Cables & Cable Accessories available for delivery to UK and international projects.
More IEC Offshore & Marine Cables
T&D ⇒ CABLE ♦ JOINT ♦ TERMINATE ♦ CONNECT ♦ GLAND ♦ CLEAT ♦ CRIMP ♦ DUCT ♦ SEAL ♦ REPAIR
Thorne & Derrick invite you to join LinkedIn’s largest LV-HV Electrical Discussion Group : Low & High Voltage Power, Cabling, Jointing & Electricals. Discussion subjects include cable installations, cable jointing, substation, overhead line and electrical construction at MV, HV, 11kV, 33kV and EHV. Network, engage and promote your profile, company or products with over 10,000 influencers.
- A60 H120 Pipework Fire Protection For Bulkheads & Decks Size: 1.23 MB
- NOFIRNO – Transits (Pipes & Cables) Onshore & Offshore Sealing Systems Size: 2.44 MB
- NOFIRNO – MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet Size: 25.88 KB