Underground Substation Cable Sealing | Protection of Metro & Rail Systems Against Moisture & Flood
Published 26 Nov 2019
Underground Substation Cable Sealing
Here are several site installation photographs of a cable sealing and substation asset protection project in the USA.
The MV medium voltage cables are installed 20 meters underground in a substation that is providing electrical power distribution to a subway metro station.
This is one of many sites where they have ongoing moisture problems associated with floodwater and environmental conditions.
Using FiloSeal+HD the client improved the environment inside the substation, reducing moisture, which was their electrical and substation protection objective.
One of the main issues with this project was cable separation of the 35kV power cables which are installed in triplex formation.
FiloSeal+HD uses hexagonal-shaped tubes to support and separate the MV cables, which is one of the many reasons, this Utility decided to select and specify Filoform.
- Cable Sealing System – FiloSeal+HD + Water Blocking System
- Cables – 600MCM, 35kV TR-XLPE, Triplexed Cables
- Cable Duct Size – 160mm (6″)
As you can see, the visual element is far neater and professional, while also providing the following features:
- Up to 2 bar Pressure Resistance (Gas & Water)
- Flexible, one component, sealing compound – resistant to rats
- Resistant to Hydrogen Sulphide/Methane and aggressive gases
- Non-Hazardous – complies with 2011 NEC Articles 225.27, 230.8, 300.5(G), 300.7 (A) on Raceway Seals, and 501.15 (B)(2)
- Suitable for renovations – the cable duct seals can be installed retrospectively
More Cable & Duct Sealing Applications
- LU London Underground Tested Cable Duct Seals – LUL S1085 Standard
- Correctly Sealed Cable Ducts Will Protect From Ingress Into Potable Drinking Water
- Sealing Cables, Switch Hall & Grid Transformer Bases On 132kV Wind Farm
- Duct Seals – Sealing Cable Ducts Containing Low Voltage Control Cables
- Sealing Cable Ducts Containing Multiple Single Core Cables In A Data Centre
- Trefoil Cables – Sealing Ducts & Cleating Trefoil Cables Up To 33kV
THORNE & DERRICK INTERNATIONAL
Since 1985 Thorne & Derrick based in the UK have been specialist distributors of LV, MV & HV Cable Installation, Jointing, Substation, Arc Flash Clothing & Electrical Safety Equipment – customers include UK and worldwide contractors, specifiers, traders and end-users involved in medium and high voltage cable installations, cable jointing, substation, overhead line and electrical construction.
We are specialist stockists and distributors of 11kV-33kV Cable Joints, Terminations & Connectors from manufacturers including 3M, Pfisterer, Prysmian and Nexans Euromold in a selection of cable jointing technologies including push-on, heat shrink and cold shrink joints and cold shrink terminations.