3M Scotchcast Cable Joints – Your Cable Circuit Is Only As Strong As Its Weakest Link
Published 25 May 2018
uploaded by Chris Dodds - Thorne & Derrick Sales & Marketing Manager
Selection Factors, Specification Considerations & Application Notes
Why Gamble With Your Power Supply By Installing Underspecified Cable Joints?
Since 1985, Thorne & Derrick International, have stocked and distributed 3M Scotchcast cable joints renowned for their field service record and dependability for the connection and repair of existing damaged cables or the extension or diversion of new cable installations.
Whether XLPE, EPR, PILC or other cable type, Scotchcast joints are the preferred option for LV power, instrumentation or control cables.
The primary purpose of any LV cable joint is to remove a damaged or faulted section of cable and re-instate the electrical performance of the jointed cable as closely as possible to the original manufactured condition.
The specification, selection and installation of Low Voltage Resin Cable Joints varies according to industry. So, without a universal methodology the selection factors are usually specific to the cable and industry. Several key factors include : cable function, cable reliability, installation application and consequential loss due to outage or downtime.
Standard resin cable joints are often inadvertently installed forming weak links in many industrial cable networks.
Whether by Land, Air or Sea
3M Scotchcast resin cable joints provide reliable and safe performance in the construction, rail, renewable, airfield lighting, port authority, offshore, marine, mining, utilities and hazardous area (oil, gas and petrochem) industries.
“Scotchcast” has now become a byword for cable joints.
Scotchcast resins are synonymous with reliability, quality and dependability when jointing cables, whether above or below ground – a comprehensive range of jointing resins have been developed by 3M with fire resistance, flame retardant, low smoke zero halogen and hydrocarbon resistant performance.
3M Scotchcast 82-F cable joints are specified for the straight and branch jointing of flexible mining and trailing cables. Utilising flame retardant and flexible 3M Scotchcast 2131 resin with Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Acceptance 07-KA060002-MSHA.
3M 82-F flexible cable joints do not impair the bend radius of frequently coiled cables – the submersible cable joints are also seawater resistant for connecting cables by divers to ROV (Remotely Operated Underwater Vehicles).
♦ Further Reading : Top 10 Deepest Mines In The World
Offshore Cable Joints
3M Scotchcast resin cable joints are specified by the global oil and gas exploration companies for the low voltage jointing of power, instrumentation and control cables.
3M LVI3 resin cable joints suit offshore and marine power, instrumentation and control cable (BS6883, IEEE, UL, UK00A, NEK606 BFOU RFOU types) and instrumentation cable (pair, triple, quad types) – typically used to joint and connect cables in Zone 1 and Zone 2 hazardous areas to provide low voltage electricity distribution to power and lighting in potentially explosive atmospheres.
3M LVI3 joints are hydro-carbon resistant based on the specification performance of 3M Scotchcast 1402FR and resist degradation by drilling fluids (mud) – the ability of offshore topside and shipboard cable joints to withstand degradation by hydro-carbons and drilling MUD is vital avoid potential cable faults.
Repairing Damaged Cables
Cable damage is common offshore due to the extreme mechanical conditions caused by vibration, shock and movement on oil and gas platforms.
Overtime, EPR type rubber cable sheaths are degraded and complete cable change-out can be cost prohibitive or actually impossible.
3M LVI cable joints provide an excellent cable repair or full cable joint to damaged offshore cables preventing possible downtime caused by cable failure due to salt sea atmospheres reacting with cable braiding and conductors and causing a short circuit.
The wrap-around or snap-on 2 part type cable joint moulds permit mid-span cable repairing or jointing without requiring cable disconnection from the remote end – refer to our recent post about repairing damaged cables for further information and solutions including use of cold shrink tubes.
With You In The Cable Trenches
Bent double in a muddy hole in the ground wrestling with a post-war imperial PILC cable.
And if you’re cable jointing in the UK then it’s probably raining.
We know the score. Hence, 3M cable joints are designed by jointers for jointers.
Cross core and transition cable jointing of multi-core XLPE to PILC is enabled.
Strong impact resistant cable joints shells withstand trench backfill. Often sand backfill can be mixed with sharp stones, clay and organic detritus.
3M can cope.
The internal working space permitted by the cable joint shell design impacts upon the ability of the LV cable jointer to work comfortably and safely often in tough site conditions.
Ample work-room enables efficient and reliable armour bonding, cross-core jointing, transition jointing and conductor connecting.
Large cable jointing shells enable the use of mechanical shearbolt connectors, such as Pfisterer Sicon, ideal for imperial-metric-AWG connections and hydraulic crimp tool heads where close quarter working is needed.
Is The Cable Joint Shell Large Enough For The Crossing Of Phased Cores?
Whatever the Weather
Cable damage is common offshore due to the extreme mechanical conditions caused by vibration, shock and movement on oil and gas platforms. Challenging offshore weather conditions vary from brutal hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico to violent Atlantic nor’easters.
Closer to home, the North Sea UK continental shelf regularly experiences violent Force 10 storms inflicting extreme wind and wave effects on offshore assets.
3M Scotchcast Standing Out From The Crowd
3M Scotchcast low voltage cable joints are designed to ensure the installation process is simpler, quicker and safer.
Some selection and specification considerations :
- Safety – 3M’s unique Advanced Delivery system provides integrated resin pour for the cable jointer eliminating vapour inhalation or direct skin contact
- Simplicity – one part, wraparound cable joint shell enables rapid installation. Reduced man-hours cuts installed cost and drives labour productivity gains often during tight time schedule shutdowns
- Reliability – eliminate or minimise cable faults
Specify and buy 3M Scotchcast cable joints for first class safety and service record without any hidden dangers.
Just How Do 3M Do It?
- Single Piece Cable Joint Mould Shell – simpler installation process for the cable jointer. No cutting or sawing cable mould to size. Range taking foam seals at the ends of the cable joint shells provide an excellent tight and reliable seal – this adaptable 3M cable sealing system eliminates the need for the cable jointer to cut and tape the joint shell to size. Folding cable mould meets at the top of cable joint, not along both sides reducing potential resin leakage paths. 3M cable joint moulds resist cracks or breaks even at low temperatures. Suitable for direct burial.
Why Don’t I Need To Cut 3M Cable Joint Shell To Fit The Cable?
- Earthing – 3M’s robust armour continuity earthing system suits both wire armoured (AWA single core and SWA multi-core), wire braided (copper and phosphur bronze) and lead sheathed cables. To avoid awkward manipulation of armour wires while trying to fit worm drive clips over the cable support rings, 3M have chosen to use constant force springs for earthing. Constant force springs offer significant advantages over “single wire type” earth continuity systems, which can fail if poorly positioned within wire armour cores that have “spread”. The flat soft copper earth braid ensures good electrical contact.
- Mechanical Connectors – fast, simple and range-taking conductor jointing of copper and aluminium conductors, whether stranded, sectoral or solid. Suits jointing of metric, imperial and AWG conductors.
- Resins – high quality cable jointing resin with good moisture resistance and always enough in the joint kit for the application. No need for “topping-up”.
- Scotchcast 1402FR Resin, Halogen Free – for public areas where fire, smoke and toxic fumes potentially threated lives and equipment
- Scotchcast 1402FR Resin, Hydrocarbon Resistant – suit air exposed and contaminated ground installations
- Scotchcast 2131 Resin, Seawater Resistant – salt water solution resistant to ISO 175
Did You Know?
3M Scotchcast resin cable joints, typically used for 600/100 volts cables, can be up-rated for 3.3kV cable jointing.
3M Scothcast Premium Low Voltage Inline Resin Cable Joint
THORNE & DERRICK SPECIALIST ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTOR
LV ♦ MV ♦ HV
T&D distribute the most extensive range of LV, MV & HV Cable Jointing, Terminating, Pulling & Installation Equipment – we service UK and international clients working on underground cables, overhead lines, substations, switchgear and electrical construction at LV, 11kV, 33kV and EHV transmission and distribution voltages.
- Key Products: MV-HV Cable Joints & Terminations, Cable Cleats, Duct Seals, Cable Transits, Underground Cable Protection, Cable Jointing Tools, Feeder Pillars, Cable Ducting, Earthing & Lightning Protection, Electrical Safety, Cable Glands, Arc Flash Protection & Fusegear.
- Distributors for: 3M, ABB, Alroc, Band-It, Catu, Cembre, Centriforce, CMP, Elastimold, Ellis Patents, Emtelle, Furse, Lucy Zodion, Nexans Euromold, Pfisterer, Polypipe, Prysmian, Roxtec.
Thorne & Derrick invite you to join LinkedIn’s largest LV-HV Electrical Discussion Group : Low & High Voltage Power, Cabling, Jointing & Electricals. Discussion subjects include cable installations, cable jointing, substation, overhead line and electrical construction at LV, 11kV, 33kV and EHV. Network, engage and promote your profile, company or products with over 10,000 influencers.
- Cable Joints – 3M Scotchcast Resin Low Voltage LV Cable Joints Size: 444.02 KB
- Cable Joints – 3M Scotchcast Resin Low Voltage LV Cable Joints (Hazardous Areas) Size: 399.78 KB