Ellis Emperor Cable Cleats | Sunrise Wind Offshore Wind Farm Case Study
Published 09 Nov 2023
Windfarm cable cleats
Ellis Patents, a global leader in the manufacture and innovation of cable cleats, including the Emperor and Flexi Straps range are being installed in the first offshore windfarm in the USA to use a high voltage direct current system (HVDC) to deliver power onshore; the advantages of HVDC are as follows:
- the ability to interconnect networks that are asynchronous
- the ability to transmit power over long distances without technical limitations
- the ability to control power flows on the HVDC connection for all system backgrounds
- the ability to transmit power in either direction as desired by the network operator
- in certain cases the ability to improve AC system stability
The Sunrise Wind Offshore Wind Farm is a significant step towards New York’s clean energy goals. When it is completed the 800MW windfarm will power nearly 600,000 households with renewable electricity by 2025 and help New York accomplish a carbon-free energy grid by 2040.
Ellis Patents Offshore Wind Project
Experts at Ellis Patents worked closely with the UK Design Team on this. This ensured the highest safety standards and optimal cable management on the offshore platform.
Furthermore, the platform is characterised by a steel jacket substructure and a topside deck housing essential electrical equipment and is the heart of the windfarms operations.
Kelly Brown Ellis Patent’s Sales Director made a statement on this. She said: “Sunrise Wind is a major project for the advancement of the wind sector in the US and having Ellis Cable Cleats installed gives us a huge feeling of pride to be involved in something on such a global scale. This clearly demonstrates the trust in Ellis’ expertise in cable management to enhance safety and efficiency in the offshore platform”.
The Offshore Converter Station is designed to collect the 66kV alternating current (AC) power generated by the wind turbines, relies on a robust subsea export cable that spans an impressive 100 miles to connect to the onshore converter station located at Holbrook on Long Island. The onshore converter station plays a vital role in converting the power back to AC before feeding it into the distribution grid, ensuring clean energy reaches homes, industries, and other end-users across New York.
Cable Management Solution for Sunrise Offshore Windfarm
Ellis provided a cable cleat and management solution tailored to the unique performance requirements of the Sunrise Wind Project.
The Ellis Patents Cable Cleats and Flexi-Straps were installed in the first offshore wind farm. This also played a pivotal role in securing and supporting the cables in the challenging offshore environment.
Manufactured by Ellis Patents, the Emperor Cable Cleats are designed for use where the highest levels of short circuit withstand are required, Ellis’ Emperor cable cleats are available for both trefoil and single cable applications. All products in the range are manufactured in type 316L stainless steel. This helps them provide ultimate corrosion protection, even in the harshest of environments.
Key Benefits of using Cable Cleats
- Low Smoke Zero Halogen Material & Grade 316 Stainless Steel – Corrosion Resistant
- Soft LSF Cable Liner – Cable Sheath Protection
- Captive Closure Fixings – Fast Installation
- Polymer Cable Cleats | Holding Power with Ellis Patents
- Emperor Cable Cleats | Golden Eagle Offshore Platform
- Emperor Cable Cleats | Gwynt y Mor Offshore Wind Farm
Thorne & Derrick International are Specialist Suppliers of products to provide safe and reliable LV HV Cable Termination, Jointing, Installation & Power Systems up to 66kV.
Key Product Categories: Connectors, Joints & Terminations MV HV | Cable Preparation & Jointing Tools | Duct Seals | Cable Transits | Cable Cleats | Cable Glands | Electrical Safety | Arc Flash Clothing & Protection | Cable Pulling | Earthing & Lightning Protection | Feeder Pillars
Thorne & Derrick distribute the most extensive range of MV HV Medium & High Voltage Cable Joints, Terminations & Connectors from manufacturers including 3M, Prysmian, Nexans Euromold, Elastimold, Pfisterer CONNEX & SEANEX.
- Ellis Patents Emperor Trefoil Cable Cleats – Data Sheet Size: 129.31 KB
- Ellis Patents Emperor Trefoil Cable Cleats – Installation Instructions Size: 167.90 KB