3M Scotch 70 Tape – Arc Resistant High Temperature Self Amalgamating Tapes
3M Scotch 70 Tape is a 0.76mm thick, high voltage jointing and an EPR (Ethylene Propylene Rubber) based self amalgamating tape.
Scotch 70 Tape can be used as an insulation for low voltage applications as well as insulation for cable joints up to 69kV.
The tape is high temperature arc-and track-resistant tape composed of self-fusing, inorganic silicone rubber, with easy-tear and easy-strip liner and forms part of the 3M Scotch Electrical Tapes.
Availability: Contact Thorne & Derrick Sales for competitive prices and delivery from stock for 3M Scotch 70 tape.
Specification – 3M Scotch 70 Self Amalgamating Tape
Scotch 70 tape, manufactured by 3M Electrical, imust be composed of a self-fusing, inorganic silicone rubber with easy-tearing and easy stripping polyester liner. The 3M Scotch tape must be Sky
Blue Grey and conform to Munsell Colour No. 5BG7.0/0.4. The Scotch tape must be capable of operating continuously at Class H temperatures (180°C/356°F). The tape must be compatible with all synthetic cable insulations. The tape must be compatible with all synthetic cable insulations as well as cable splicing compounds.
3M Scotch 70 Tape
Arc Resistant High Temperature Self Amalgamating Tapes Features
- Excellent track resistance
- Excellent arc resistance
- Excellent ozone resistant self amalgamating tape
- High dielectric strength
- Class “H” material (180°C continuous operation)
- 3M Scotch 70 tape is workable in extremely low temperatures
- Excellent conformability
- Excellent instantaneous fusion; does not need to be held down
3M SCOTCH 70 TAPE – Applications
- As an over-wrap for protection of terminating high-voltage cables against arcing and tracking
- As primary insulation where Class “H” (180°C/356°F) temperatures are encountered ie. silicone rubber cables
- Scotch 70 Electrical Tape should be applied in successive half lapped, level-wound layers until desired build-up is reached
- To eliminate voids in critical areas, highly elongate 70 Tape
- Stretch tape in these critical areas just short of its breaking point – doing so will not alter its physical or electrical properties
- In less critical areas, less elongation may be used – normally, 3M Scotch 70 Tape is stretched to ¾ of its original width in these less critical areas
- Always attempt to half-lap to produce a uniform build-up
- When using 70 Tape for jointing cables from 35kV to 69kV, always elongate the tape throughout the entire cable joint
3M Scotch 70 Tape
Arc Resistant High Temperature Self Amalgamating Tapes Technical Specification
|Colour||Sky Blue Grey|
|Temperature Range||The tape must be capable of operating continuously at Class H temperatures (180°C/356°F)|
|Backing (Material Type)||Self-fusing, inorganic silicone rubber, easy-tearing and easy stripping polyester liner|
|Width x Length||25mm x 9m|
|Dielectric Strength||34kV/mm Arc resistance ASTM-D1000-76 1 min. (minimum)|
|Breaking Strength||ASTM-D1000-76 21N/10m|
➡ T&D stock and supply the complete range of 3M Scotch Self Amalgamating Tapes.
3M Scotch Electrical tapes including Scotch 70 are used to cable joint, splice, repair, seal and protect cables against abrasion, fire and corrosion – this includes LV-HV (11kV-33kV cables) – please contact T&D should you require assistance with selecting the correct tape.
Trademarks: 3M, Scotch, Scotchfil and Scotch 70 are all trademarks of 3M Company.
Complete range of 3M Cable Accessories for the repair, joint and termination of LV MV HV cables.