Euromold 158LR Elbow Connector 11kV 24kV
Dead Break Elbow Connector
Euromold 158LR Plug-In Separable Tee Connector MV HV
Nexans Euromold 158LR elbow connectors are used to terminate MV-HV XLPE/EPR (polymeric) insulated cables up to 24kV into 200 Series Interface A Bushings with 7.9mm plug-in pins according to CENELEC EN50180 and EN50181.
- 250A Connector Continuous Current Rating
- 24kV Connector Maximum Voltage Rating
Euromold 158LR is a screened separable connector specified to terminate and connect medium/high voltage cables in the following voltage classes:
- 6/10 (12kV)
- 6.35/11 (12kV)
- 8.7/15 (17.5kV)
- 12/20 (24kV)
- 12.7/22 (24kV)
To select the correct Euromold 158LR connector for termination of MV HV power cables with copper wire screen or tape screen to Interface A bushings (250 Amp) full cable specification with dimensional information is required – see the Euromold 158LR download opposite for complete technical specification of the elbow connector.
See the installation instructions for Euromold 158LR separable elbow connectors Type A Interface – the document covers (K) 158LR connectors for sizes FB, FG, GA, GAB and GH.
Euromold connectors should be installed only by competent jointers trained in good safety practices involving high voltage electrical equipment.
The Euromold 158LR elbow connector with 250A current rating is designed for Interface A and covers voltages from 12kV to 24kV with a maximum conductor size of 95sqmm.
Euromold 158LR plug-in elbow connectors can be supplied as a straight plug connector (152SR) to achieve a disconnectable cable joint – note this is a Dead-Break connector joint only, not Load-Break Connector type.
Euromold 158LR separable elbow connectors are designed to connect all polymeric screened cables to suit CENELEC Interface Type A (250amp) equipment bushings with 7.9mm Plug-In pins up to 24kV.
Designed to connect polymeric insulated cables with a copper wire screen but can be used on wire armoured, copper tape screen cables with the use of additional screen earth kits and accessories.
Euromold Kit MT is required for use with copper tape screened cables, typically BS6622 cable – this comprises 3 lengths of tinned copper earth braid and constant force springs, the earth braid includes a soldered end with stud hole for the earthing connection to the HSGK cable gland or grounding point.
158LR connectors are suitable for terminating MV-HV cables with either “easy-peel” or bonded semicon screens – the 200 Series elbow connectors are specified for indoor cable termination applications, apply suffix (MWS) for outdoor cable connections where additional water-sealing and blocking mastic is required.
|Copper Tape Screen Earthing Kits||11kV Cables||24kV Cables|
|Nexans Euromold MT/SE1||16-50sqmm||16-25sqmm|
|Nexans Euromold MT/SE2||70-95sqmm||35-50sqmm|
|Nexans Euromold MT/SE3||120-150sqmm||95-150sqmm|
Connector accessories include: dead-end receptacle, dead-end plug, stand-off plug and earthing plug for type A interfaces.
- Manufacturer – Nexans Euromold
- MV HV Equipment Bushing Connector – Interface A
- Maximum Operating Current – 250A (Amps)
- Voltage Classes – 11kV 12kV 24kV Maximum
- Terminate & Connect Cables – Polymeric XLPE EPR
- Conductor Cross Section Sizes – 16-95sqmm
- Core Insulation Diameter Range – 12.6-26.4mm
- Applications – MV HV Switchgear, Transformers, Motors
- Dead-Break or Load-Break – Dead Break Connectors
➡ See complete range of Nexans Euromold Connectors
EUROMOLD 158LR Specification
|Current Ir (A) – Interface A Bushings||Conductor sizes (sqmm)|
|158LR/G||11kV 12kV||250 Amps||16||95|
|158LR||11kV 12kV||250 Amps||70||95|
|K158LR/G||11kV 24kV||250 Amps||16||70|
|K158LR||11kV 24kV||250 Amps||25||95|
Separable elbow connector comprising:
- Conductive EPDM insert
- Conductive EPDM jacket
- Insulating EPDM layer moulded between the insert and the jacket
- Type A – 250 A Interface as described by CENELEC EN 50180 and 50181
- Conductor connector
- Voltage test point
- Earthing lead (-/G version only)
The thick conductive EPDM jacket provides a safe to touch screen which ensures safety for personnel, cables and electrical equipment in medium/high voltage installations.
Euromold 158LR Selection Table
For Screened MV HV Elbow Connectors
Select the Euromold 158LR ordering part number which positions the cable most central to the minimum and maximum core insulation diameter, then substitute X using the table below, according to the conductor size (sqmm) and type (copper or aluminium). Order Euromold MT connector kit to enable termination of copper tape screened MV-HV cables in voltage range 11kV (12kV) to 24kV – suitable for copper wire screened cables. Add a ‘K’ for use up to 24kV.
The complete Euromold 158LR elbow connector kit comprises the following components – cable lubricant, wipers, installation instructions and crimp chart.
|Dia. over core insulation (mm)|
|Aluminium Cable||Copper Cable|
|DIN Hexagonal Crimp||Deep Indent Crimp||DIN Hexagonal Crimp|
Selecting Euromold 158LR Connectors
Provide complete manufacturers cable specification and actual bushing interface type to ensure compatibility of the Euromold connector with the medium/high voltage cable, switchgear or electrical equipment. Specification and design of the Euromold 158LR separable connector is available as a download opposite.
Euromold Connector Installation
- Remove traces of semi-conductive screen residue from the core insulation using cable cleaning wipes above the adaptor end or extruded semi-conductive screen. Always wipe towards the copper screen wires
- Lubricate the core insulation and inside surface of the 158LR elbow connector
- Check if the angle of the connector housing is correct relative to the palm of the crimp contact and gently slide the housing on the cable until it cannot advance any further
- Insert the threaded end of the pin contact into the mating part by hand. Take care not to cross thread.
- Tighten the hex key until the key has taken a set
- Connect the two copper wire screens to the earthing eye of the 158LR elbow connector
- Clean and lubricate lightly both bushing interface and connector interface
- Push the 158LR Euromold elbow connector on the bushing
- Insert bail arm into the MV HV bushing tabs
- Position bail arm and tighten eye bolt
- Do not apply excessive force on the elbow connector. Adjust the nut on the eye bolt until it allows the eye bolt to seat securely on the locator. The nut should act as a stop to prevent the eye bolt from applying excessive force on the elbow connectors. Once the nut is in final position, it will not have to be readjusted when removing and replacing the elbow connector
- Bend back the screen wires along the outer sheath to form a pig tail
- Connect the screen wires to the system earth
Note: A Euromold connector/bushing mated combination should not be allowed to carry the full weight of the MV HV cable – therefore it is necessary to clamp the cable as close as possible to the connector. Never disconnect the straight connector from energised medium/high voltage electrical equipment or energise a disconnected straight connector without previously installing on its corresponding stand-off plug (K) 151SOP or dead-end plug (K) 150DP.
Euromold | Connect | Joint | Terminate MV HV Cables – view our complete range of HV Joints & Terminations in heat shrink, cold shrink, push-on and plug-in versions.