11kV Triplex Cables Terminated Onto Switchgear Bushings Using Heat Shrink Cable Terminations
Published 08 Dec 2017
- Application: 11kV Triplex Cables Terminated Onto Switchgear Bushings
- Cable Type: 11kV Triplex Cables BS7870-4.10 – 3 Core Cable High Voltage (HV) Power
- Cable Jointer: Watkins and Jacomb Construction Power & Consultancy
- Featured Product: Heat Shrink Cable Terminations 11kV
Heat Shrink Terminations
11kV cables are shown terminated using heat shrink terminations into Lucy VRN2a SF6 Ring Main Unit with a 200A Circuit Breaker to UKPN specification – the Sabre range of RMU’s manufactured by Lucy Switchgear are non extensible ring main units for outdoor high voltage substations. Along with low voltage distribution cabinets, these RMU’s can be easily coupled to the distribution transformer forming a compact outdoor package substation.
Terminating Triplex Using Cold Shrink
Here, the 11kV Triplex cables are shown terminated into a high voltage cable termination box using 3M Cold Shrink terminations – the concertina style bushing boot is cold-applied and suitable for both straight or right-angled 11kV switchgear connections, part code 3M 92EE717-1.
The bushing boots insulate the cable lug connection onto the bushing interface located on the electrical equipment. The Triplex copper wire screens are shown bonded to earth using brass mechanical shearbolt cable lugs.
The unarmoured Triplex cables are provided with mechanical cable retention and moisture ingress protection using heat shrink cable glands – the glands provide a watertight and fume-tight cable seal where the Triplex cables enter high voltage connection boxes, switchgear, bulkheads, or other enclosures.
The HV cables are cable ducted within the hot zone and a stand-off insulator is mounted in each HV cable box. The cable sheath is shown terminated to an earth bar mounted onto the stand-off insulator.
Image: NPG Northern Powergrid
Should you require any assistance with the selection or specification of 11kV triplex cables or 11kV cable lugs please do not hesitate to contact us.
Thorne & Derrick Specialist Electrical Distributor
LV ♦ MV ♦ HV
T&D distribute the most extensive range of LV, MV & HV Cable Jointing, Terminating, Installation & Cable Pulling Equipment – we service UK and international clients working on underground cables, overhead lines, substations and electrical construction at LV, 11kV, 33kV and EHV transmission and distribution voltages.
- Key Products: MV-HV Cable Joints & Terminations, Cable Cleats, Sealing Cable Ducts, Cable Transits, Underground Cable Protection, Cable Jointing Tools, Feeder Pillars, Cable Ducting, Earthing & Lightning Protection, Electrical Safety, Cable Glands, Arc Flash Protection & Fusegear.
- Distributors for: 3M, ABB, Alroc, Band-It, Catu, Cembre, Centriforce, CMP, Elastimold, Ellis Patents, Emtelle, Furse, Lucy Zodion, Nexans Euromold, Pfisterer, Polypipe, Prysmian, Roxtec.
T&D’s Power Blog covers: LV MV HV & EHV Transmission & Distribution, Substations, Switchgear, Cable Jointing & Termination, Cable Fault & Repair, Underground Cables.
➡ Visit Power Blog.