3M Scotchcast Cable Joints For Type 11 Flexible & Trailing Mining Cables
Published 05 Feb 2019
uploaded by Chris Dodds - Thorne & Derrick Sales & Marketing Manager
Jointing Mining Cables
3M 82-F2 Flexible Cable Jointing Kits are specified for inline (straight) and tap (branch) jointing of Type 11 Trailing Cables used in underground coal mines to power coal-cutters and face equipment – Thorne & Derrick distribute a complete of cable joints for mining cables using resin cast, heat shrink or Cold Shrink technology for LV (Low Voltage), MV (Medium Voltage) and HV (High Voltage) networks.
Type 11 0.64/1.1kV BS6708 Trailing Cable features an EPR rubber insulation which allows cable flexibility on site for frequent coiling and diverting to support the coal mining extraction process. 3M Scotchcast 82-F2 cable joints feature Scotchcast 2131 resin which is flexible, flame retardant and moisture sealing for damp working environments experienced in deep underground coal mines.
3M 82-F2 flexible cable joints allow trailing cable to maintain cable bend radius for handling, installation and reeling applications – compatible with most types of flexible cables including EPR types used in both onshore and offshore locations.
3M 82-F2 submersible cable joints are suitable also for both indoor and outdoor cable installations – this includes weather exposed, direct burial underground, submerged and cable reels.
3M Scotchcast 82-F2 Flexible Power Cable Splicing Kits
- One-piece removable cable joint mold
- 3M Scotchcast 2131 resin compound in “Unipak” container
- 3M Scotch 23 tape for sealing cable joint mold ends
- Clear and comprehensive cable jointing instructions
Pictured: The ﬁrst automated drill for the small-face drilling segment, the Boomer S2’s COP from Atlas Copco. Johan Halling, President of Atlas Copco’s Mining and Rock Excavation Business Area, said he is optimistic about the future of coal mining. “The global mining industry has experienced downtrends before, and each time it has managed to bounce back and become even stronger, largely thanks to the development of innovative products and new thinking,” Halling said. “I am certain that the current downtrend is no exception.”
3M Scotchcast 82-F2 cable splices are assigned by the Mine Safety & Health Administration (P-142-5 MSHA).
T&D stock both the 3M 82-F range of Scotchcast Inline and Tape cable joints utilising Scotch Electrical tapes for the jointing, repair and re-jacketing of damaged mining cables, including flexible and trailing cables.
3M 82-F Scotchcast cable joints accommodate outside cable diameters up to 30mm. For jointing or repairing flexible and trailing above 30mm diameter, T&D stock and recommend the 3M Resin Flexible Cable Repair & Jointing Kits which suit up to 152mm outside diameter cables.
Flexible mining trailing cables are for use with shuttle cars, coal cutters and similar face equipment.
3M Scotchcast resin cable joints are available to suit :
- Type 7 Trailing Cable
- Type 7M Trailing Cable
- Type 7S Trailing Cable
- Type 11 Trailing Cable
- Type 62, 63 & 64 Flexible Trailing Cable (Galvanised Steel Wire Armouring)
- Type 201 & 211 Flexible Trailing Cable (Galvanised Steel Wire Armouring)
- Type 307 Trailing Cable
- Type 307S Trailing Cable
- Type 331 and 321 Flexible Trailing Cables with Galvanised Steel Wire Armouring
- Type 631 Flexible Trailing Cables with Galvanised Steel Wire Armouring
- PVC Insulated, Wire Armoured and PVC Sheathed Power Cable
- PVC Insulated Wire Armoured Telephone Cables
- XLPE Insulated, Wire Armoured and PVC Sheathed Power Cables
- See Complete Range of Mining Cables
Some Mining Cable Jointing Tips
- Cut out all kinks, twists and crushed spots – if several cable joints are located close together, remove them all and install a single cable joint to eliminate possible multiple weak spots
- Take care not to nick or cut the cable construction (conductor, insulation, shield) – use correct jointing tools
- When preparing mine power feeder cable make square, even cable cuts. Leave no loose threads or sharp points protruding as corona could be initiated within the cable joint
- Stagger connections (crimped or mechanical) on conductors to reduce bulkiness in the cable joint and promote cable flexibility
When The Going Gets Tough…..
3M Scotchcast resins are highly modified to resist degradation and contamination by acidic and alkaline dusts experienced in the global mining and quarrying industrial sectors such as coal, clay, china clay, chalk, gypsum and limestone.
Mining & Quarrying Conveyors
Electrical plant, equipment and machinery in the mining industry is designed and manufactured to withstand harsh environmental conditions. Naturally, cables and cable accessories such as cable joints should be carefully specified to avoid downtime caused by installation of underspecified equipment.
Global economic growth and infrastructure development depends heavily on mined and quarried natural resources such as minerals, metal ores and coal. Open-cut and underground mining operations require powerful electric machines and cabling to enable extraction. Electrical equipment and cable systems are routinely exposed to heavy dust pollution, high machinery vibration and G-forces. Large scale digging and excavation equipment for open-cut mines, such as electric power shovels and large scale conveyors, require trailing, level-wind cable reels. Drill and blast equipment used for hard rock and underground mining require rugged, compact cable management systems. Mobile power is also needed for shotcrete machines, blast-hole drills, ceiling bolters, and other underground equipment.
Open Cut Mining At Glencore Bulga Coal
Underground Shuttle Car Loading Coal
Hydraulic Face Shovel Loading Coal In Dump Truck
Complete range of LV HV Cable Accessories to support the installation of mining cables.