LV Jointer Training – LV3 Course LV Transition Polymeric (Wavecon) to PILC STA Mains Cables
Published 29 Jan 2019
Cable Jointer Training Courses
LV Transition Polymetric (Wavecon) to PILCSTA
(3 Phase) Mains Cable Jointing Course (LV3)
Jointer Training & Competency Cards
Sustained Skills For Specialist Services
The provision of Jointer Training is a contentious topic in the UK Power Industry – standards are collapsing, craftmanship is devalued, pockets are hurting and an illusion clouds the market that some Trainers can wave a magic wand and create the perfect Jointer in 4 days.
OK, it’s not quite the Wild West but as a UK leading distributor of Jointing Equipment at Thorne & Derrick we hold a duty of responsibility to support the safe and reliable installation of these products by promoting excellent standards of workmanship.
Accredited training courses can protect power and people against the danger of fatal Volts.
This Jointer Training Course is written by and delivered on behalf of EUSKILLS. This organisation is an awarding body which works extensively with Distribution Network Operators and their associates.
EUSkills and partners have ascertained the correct level of training provision and agreed the standard across the Cable Jointing Industry.
Successful trainees receive Competence Cards detailing their skill set directly from EUSKILLS upon completion of the course. Backing from EUSkills gives clients confidence that their jointers will be trained up to the perfect standards as agreed across the board.
Delivered In Partnership With Energy Utility Skills
EUSKILLS mission is to make excellence the standard through trusted partnerships and ensure that the UK Utility Industry develops and retains a sustainable skilled workforce now and in the future – they are a provider of choice for employer solutions and registering and assessing competency standards within the energy, gas, waste management and water networks industries.
Training Course Duration 5 days
This Jointer Training course will enable a Jointer to confidently carry out a range of live low voltage electrical cable jointing procedures on underground cables in accordance with company procedures and to demonstrate a safety conscious approach to the control of hazards associated with the activity whilst working and communicating effectively with other team member to achieve tasks.
This course is designed to give existing jointers the, knowledge and understanding to fulfil the role as a Cable Jointer and to be able to make both transition straight and breeches joints using paper insulated lead covered steel tape armoured cables and subsequent electrical tests in a safe manner.
Jointer Training Course Aims
On successful completion of this course, delegates will be able to demonstrate and understand:
- Correct and safe working practices and procedures
- Correct use of PPE and specialist tools and equipment
- The installation of three phase PILCSTA cable transition straight and breeches joints and mains pot-ends
- Test procedures relevant to LV Jointing
Jointer Training Course Content
The course includes the following:
- Review jointing practices and procedures.
- Review Health, Safety and Environment legislation in relation to electrical cable jointing.
- Electrical theory
- PPE and specialist tools and equipment.
- Understanding the role and responsibilities of the relevant person/s involved in the control of jointing procedures and the associated safety documentation and procedures.
- Awareness of the health and safety risks of the work environment
- Identification of underground cable and apparatus
- Understanding of manufacturers specifications
- Electrical testing of the cable to confirm its integrity, including insulation and continuity testing and protection from the ingress of moisture and mechanical damage
The Jointer Training course will enable a Cable Jointer to:
- Confidently carry out a range of live LV electrical cable jointing procedures on underground cables
- Work in accordance with company procedures
- Demonstrate a safety conscious approach to the control of associated hazards
- Work & communicate effectively with other team member to achieve tasks
- Prepare and carry out a transition main straight joint – wavecon cable to PILCSTA three-phase cable
- Prepare and carry out a transition main straight joint with crossed cores – wavecon cable to PILCSTA three phase cable
- Prepare and carry out a transition main breeches joint – wavecon cable to PILCSTA three phase cable
- Prepare and carry out mains pot-end PILCSTA mains cable three phase
More LV Jointer Training Courses:
Cable Jointers Assessment
The courses offered by Pragmatic Consulting are Jointer Training training assessments and not industry authorisations. Therefore, after the successful completion of the course and assessment the delegate will then need to complete a period of supervised work experience, before returning with his/her portfolio and undertake a formal cable jointing skills and knowledge assessment.
On successful completion of their assessment each candidate will then be eligible to have their achieved competence modules registered on the Energy and Utility Skills Register (EUSR) for acceptance as a level of competence by member Companies of the industries Competency Accord scheme.
This is done to preserve trade integrity and protect employers against under-skilled labour causing reputational damage to their industry.
After successful completion of the Jointer Training course assessments and portfolio an EUSR Card will be issued.
Jointer Training Course Duration 5 days
Accreditation – EUSR Competency Accord Power Unit 060 – LV3
This 5 day course is designed for existing jointers who have experience of Wavecon jointing and/or have completed Pragmatic Consulting Training’s LV2 jointing course and has or is in the process of taking a suitable electrical qualification i.e. C&G 2339 or equivalent.
Delegates to be assessed as competent in this skill area should have completed the modules shown below or have evidence demonstrating an equivalent level of competence.
- SHEA Power – providing basic health, safety and environmental awareness and an introduction to specific health, safety and environmental factors relating to the power sector
- Access, Movement and Egress (Underground Cables) – an industry assessment of a person’s competence to enter, move around and exit an underground cable work area in a safe manner
- Location and Avoidance of Utilities – an industry assessment of a person’s competence to identify and locate utilities using electronic location equipment
- Safe Excavation of Utilities – an industry assessment of a person’s competence to safely excavate and maintain excavations.
Maximum Delegates: 8
Seaton Power Solutions work in partnership with training provider Pragmatic Consulting to meet the needs of the Utilities Industry.
With accredited courses in Construction, Water, Electrics, Health & Safety and specialised training for National Grid; clients are able to to fulfil their business opportunities with a properly qualified workforce.
Medium & High Voltage Jointer Training 11kV 33kV 66kV
Thorne & Derrick can support directly your MV HV Jointer Training requirements working in close partnership with UK Centres including Pfisterer CONNEX and Nexans Euromold – these training courses provide successful Jointers with Competency Certification issued by the manufacturer to cover the installation of their ranges of cable joints, terminations and connectors up to 66kV.
LV Cable Joints (Low Voltage Cables)
Thorne & Derrick stock and distribute LV Joints in Cold Shrink, Heat Shrink or Resin Cast technologies – multicore and multi-pair cable joints are available for immediate backfill and energisation of Low Voltage power, control and instrumentation cables 600V/1000V 3.3kV.
Complete range of LV Cable Accessories ➡