G38A Compound | Prysmian BICC Joint, Termination & Box Filling Compounds
Prysmian G38A cable box filling compound is a “hot-pour” compound designed to provide an oil resistant high voltage cable joint, termination box or transformer filling compound for medium/high voltage (MV-HV) cables up to 33KV – supplied as standard in 25 litre tins.
G38A hot-pour compound is heated prior to pouring into the cable box, box or transformer.
Protective clothing should be worn to prevent accidental skin burns – this should include gloves, boots, overalls and eye protection.
G38A hot-pour compound must be heated in a clean and dry compound bucket to prevent carbonised deposits being introduced from previous heating operations. Hot pour compounds will tend to contract on cooling and it is necessary for a “top-up” pouring to complete the high voltage insulation to MV-HV cable boxes, switchgear or transformers.
Handling Of Prysmian G38A Compound
- G38A compound should be heated in a dry compound bucket, which should be cleaned out by heating and scraping prior to re-use. It is important that the container is clean to prevent carbonised deposits being introduced from previous heating operations in the same receptacle.
- G38A compound should be transferred into the bucket and placed over the heating apparatus. A lid or cover should be fitted to keep out dust and foreign matter while heating. As the compound melts, it should be stirred frequently to ensure even mixing, thus avoiding the risk of carbonisation. The lid should be replaced on each occasion.
- The compound shall be uniformly heated with no signs of degradation (carbonisation) or contamination and then poured within the specified temperature range (110-115ºC for G38A) .
- Where a compound has solidified in the bucket, it is dangerous to try to remelt it by direct heat applied to the bottom. Again, this can cause carbonisation. Heating should be gradual, starting on the container sides as above. 30kV for 1 minute
- The compound will tend to contract by approximately 6% on cooling. As a result there will be a necessity for a ‘top-up’ pouring.
- The accessory may be energized when compound temperature falls below approximately 60°C
- Prysmian G38A compound can be disposed of by controlled incineration or in an approved landfill area according to local regulations
Prysmian G38A Cable Box Filling Compound
|Specific Gravity (g/cm3) ‘@ 20°C||0.97|
|Thermal expansion coefficient||0.0007|
|Flash Point (Open Cup, ºC)||228|
|Viscosity (cst) @ 20ºC
|Pouring range (ºC)||105-115|
|Colour in bulk||Dark amber|
|Dielectric Withstand (BS1858)||30kV for 1 minute|
|Power Factor @60°C||0.005 (max)|
|Moisture content (%)||< 0.01|
first aid measures When Using G38A Compound
General Information: Remove contaminated clothing immediately.
Inhalation: Remove to fresh air, provide warmth and rest. If not breathing, if breathing is irregular or if respiratory arrest occurs, provide artificial respiration or oxygen by trained personnel. It may be dangerous to the person providing aid to give mouth to mouth resuscitation. Get medical attention if symptoms occur. If unconscious, place in recovery position and get medical attention immediately. Maintain an open airway. Loosen tight clothing.
Skin Contact: Flush contaminated skin with plenty of water Remove contaminated clothing Get medical attention if symptoms occur. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
Ingestion: Wash out mouth with water. Move exposed person to fresh air keeping warm and at rest. If material has been swallowed and only if the exposed person is conscious give small quantities of water to drink. Do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention.
Eye Contact: No effects expected. If irritation occurs flush thoroughly with flowing lukewarm water for at least 15 minutes while holding the eyelids open. Obtain medical advice.
- Classification according to Regulation (EC) 1272/2008 (EU ‘CLP’ Regulation)
- Skin Sensitiser Category 1 (H317)
- See G38A product datasheet for full details and hazard statements
PRYSMIAN – DISTRIBUTORS, STOCKISTS & SUPPLIERS
Thorne & Derrick provide competitive prices and fast delivery from stock for the complete range of Prysmian cable cleats, joints and glands.