In What Situations Would I Require a Hazardous Area Cable Joint?
Published 11 Feb 2019
uploaded by Chris Dodds - Thorne & Derrick Sales & Marketing Manager
Hazardous Area Cable Joint
Thorne & Derrick International hold the largest UK stocks of Scotchcast resin cable joints including hazardous area ranges for cable jointing power, control and instrumentation cables manufactured by 3M Electrical.
An expert from 3M Electrical details the situations where 3M Hazardous Area Scotchcast Resin Cable Joints would be specified.
- Cable joint shell/resin is flame retardant, hydrocarbon resistant and halogen free
- Advanced Scotchcast resin delivery for safer and cleaner installation by the Jointer
- Complete with 3M Scotchcast premium hydrocarbon resistant 2 part resin 1402FR
- Rated up to and including 1.9/3.3kV for hazardous area cable jointing
- Designed for specialist cable applications where hydrocarbons are present in offshore locations
HAZARDOUS AREA ZONES
- Zone 1 – according to ATEX a place in which an explosive atmosphere consisting of a mixture with air of flammable substances in the form of gas, vapour or mist is likely to occur in normal operation occasionally.
- Zone 2 – according to ATEX a place in which an explosive atmosphere consisting of a mixture with air of flammable substances in the form of gas, vapour or mist is not likely to occur in normal operation but, if it does occur, persists for a short period only.
3M Scotchcast Hazardous Area joint kits include the new flame-retardant, hydrocarbon-resistant, halogen-free 1402FR resin packs.
3M Scotchcast Hazardous Area cable joint kits are designed for use with both single-core and multi-core armoured power cables up to 3.3kV – this new 3M product features a unique hinged mould body and totally enclosed mixing system which is suitable for use in areas of high soil contamination and ATEX rated hazardous areas.
The 3M Scotchcast LVI-3/x range replaces the traditional Scotchcast LR range of cable joints and is designed for use with both Cembre type copper through connectors (compression splices) or mechanical shearbolt connectors, the two smallest 3M joints LVI-3/2C and LVI-3/3C being supplied with mechanical connectors to suit multi-core cables.
- High-performance 2-part polyurethane 1402FR hazardous area cable jointing resin
- Suitable for use with wire armour (AWA and SWA) cables and wire braid (GSWB) cables
Although cable joints are not formally certified according to ATEX there are several minimum specification and performance requirements for cable joints when being used to connect, repair or joint cables in hazardous areas.
For example 3M LVI-3 type cable joints include specially formulated 3M Scotchcast 1402FR resin – this cable jointing resin is hydro carbon resistant, flame retardant, halogen free and chemical resistant for use in hazardous area locations.
Watch 3M Video
LV Cable Joints (Low Voltage Cables)
Thorne & Derrick stock and distribute LV Joints in Cold Shrink, Heat Shrink or Resin Cast technologies – multicore and multi-pair cable joints are available for immediate backfill and energisation of Low Voltage power, control and instrumentation cables 600V/1000V 3.3kV on both safe “non-hazardous” area and designated hazardous areas with potentially explosive atmospheres. Complete range of MV & HV Joints and Terminations are available for safe installation in explosive atmosphere locations using Cold Shrink are available from stock.
Complete range of LV Cable Accessories ➡
- 3M Scotchcast 1402FR Resin – Hydrocarbon Resistant Hazardous Area Cable Jointing Resin Size: 75.82 KB