ACSS/TW Overhead line conductor
- Aluminium Conductor, Steel Supported
- Trapezoidal Shaped Aluminium Strands
ACSS/TW is designed for overhead distribution and transmission lines. It is designed to operate continuously at elevated temperatures up to 250°C without loss of strength, it sags less under emergency electrical loadings than ACSR/TW, excellent self-damping properties, and its final sags are not affected by long-term creep of aluminium. Southwire’s ACSS/TW is available in equal area and equal diameter design.
The equal area design allows equal ampacity in a smaller diameter conductor when compared with a standard ACSS conductor. The equal diameter design allows more ampacity in an equal diameter conductor when compared with a standard ACSS conductor. ACSS/TW also provides many design opportunities for new line construction: i.e., reduced tower cost, decreased sag, increased self-damping properties, increased operating temperature and improved corrosion resistance.
Bare conductor meets or exceeds the following ASTM specifications:
- B500 Metallic Coated Stranded Steel Core for Aluminium Conductors, Steel Reinforced.
- B609 Aluminium 1350 Round Wire, Annealed and Intermediate Tempers, for Electrical Purposes.
- B802 Zinc-5% Aluminium-Mischmetal Alloy-Coated Steel Core Wire for Aluminium Conductors, Steel Reinforced.
- B803 High-Strength Zinc-5% Aluminium-Mischmetal Alloy-Coated Steel Core Wire for Aluminium and Aluminium-Alloy Conductors, Steel Reinforced.
- B857 Shaped Wire Compact Concentric-Lay-Stranded Aluminium Conductors, Coated-Steel Supported (ACSS/TW).
ACSS/TW Conductor Types
- Partridge, Linnet, Oriole, Flicker, Hawk, Hen, Parakeet, Dove, Rook, Grosbeak, Scoter, Tern, Puffin, Condor, Drake, Canary, Phoenix, Rail, Cardinal, Snowbird, Ortolan, Curlew, Avocet, Bluejay, Finch, Oxbird, Bunting, Grackle, Scissortail, Bittern, Pheasant, Dipper, Martin, Bobolink, Plover, Lapwing, Falcon, Chukar, Bluebird, Mohawk, Calumet, Mystic, Oswego, Maumee, Wabash, Kettle, Fraser, Columbia, Suwannee, Cheyenne, Genesee, Hudson, Catawba, Nelson, Yukon, Truckee, Mackenzie, Thames, St. Croix, Miramichi, Merrimack, Platte, Potomac, Rio Grande, Schuylkill, Pecos, Pee Dee, James, Athabaska, Cumberland, Powder, Santee
♦ Information Courtesy Of Southwire Company USA – contact T&D for further information, technical support or quotations for Medium, High & Extra High Voltage Cables, Conductors and Installation Equipment. View full range of Overhead Line Conductors.
T&D supply Overhead Line Equipment to contractors and linemen support the installation of ACSS/TW conductors:
- Portable Earthing & Short Circuiting Systems
- Voltage Detectors
- Conductor Line Cutters
- Overhead Line Tools
- Insulating Gloves – High Voltage Hand Protection
- Arc Flash Clothing Protection